Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Weird Comic Wednesday

I admit never to having enjoyed comics as a kid. My tastes were more highbrow....Proust, Vonnegut, the novels of Stephen King....

Comics always looked so cheesy to me. Endlessly cheesy. The pinnacle of cheese.

I know and respect lots of people over the years - bright, creative, amazing people - who enjoy comics, even as adults, and I respect that but, that being said, I thoroughly reserve the right to ridicule them with relish and careless abandon.....but not to their face, behind their backs, because they may be bigger than me and have sharp objects in their hands....

So now as a reoccurring feature on Scandals and Intrigues, every Wednesday, I will publish covers and scenes from really crappy comics with silly commentary at the bottom.....here's the first edition of Weird Comic Wednesday....enjoy!!



Check out this little chestnut from Comic Cavalcade, an imprint from the middle 20th century.

Here we have little Timmy, sleeping restfully in what looks like a tenement apartment's living room (how else can you explain the Christmas tree directly at the foot of Timmy's bed), whilst through an improbably large window, a window the width of a Mack Truck, three jaunty revelers fresh out of Bedlam commit numerous felonies in a creepy attempt to bring a little Christmas cheer.

Look at the Green Lantern's expression in the back right. What's that about?? And isn't Wonder Woman wearing a little too much rouge? Tacky and felonious....

I hate to imagine what the Three Gifts of the Magi could be...





No comments: